Last night, after dinner, Kirk took Walker down to the lake and park and I worked in the kitchen while Alistaire dozed a bit, trying to use up some of the ripe bananas.
I came up with a muffin that works well for dessert and breakfast, which worked great for Walker to happily eat this morning. It is vegan friendly as well.
Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas, about 2 to 3
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 Tbsp natural peanut butter, chunky or smooth
- 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 Tbsp cool water, whisk and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350° and line two 12 count muffin tins with paper liners.
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. In a large bowl whisk the wet till smooth, add the dry and stir till mixed. Divide evenly between the muffin tins.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean (try to not stick through a chocolate chip!). Let cool for a few minutes, transfer to a cooling rack.